Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 30, 2013-Post op Day 3- 

Quite a bit of swelling, but no redness or splotchiness on surface of skin which would indicate possible infection.  Felt a bit uncomfortable today (not at all severe -just some dull pain) in area of osteotomy (Fulkerson).  In my own experience, and from reading what others have written, the osteotomy site seems to be a source of pain more than the ACI site.  I have heard that some people find the ACI site painful, but most of my symptoms right on the knee , at least up to this point in time, are related to swelling.  My incision is bleeding in one small spot a bit, so we have been changing the gauze bandage a few times a day-before applying new bandage, we apply a long strip of Neosporin (anti-bacterial) cream along the incision.

 With my first surgery, I was at physical therapy a few times the first week post op.  Due to the holiday (tomorrow is New Year's Eve), and my therapist going on vacation, I'm not scheduled to return to PT or see the doctor (the PT office is at surgeon's office) until January 6.  I may call to request to be seen by another therapist next week, just to have a trained eye monitor my progress.  I did do all my exercises today and take several walks around the house. It may be my imagination, but getting up and about (even for short period of time-15-20 minutes) seemed to decrease the swelling a small amount.

In the early evening, I took a nap, with hopes of escaping the discomfort I was experiencing.  When I woke up a couple hours later, the pain was much decreased and I felt much better. 

I have attached here a photo of both my knees: the right knee scar is barely discernible 6 months post op.  The top part of the purple markings, close to the word "yes", were not cut.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayla....I'd say that looks pretty darn good for 3 days post op!! You are a trooper!! :)

    ReplyDelete