Monday, August 19, 2013

July 29, 2013. -5 weeks post op

It's just about 5 weeks post surgery.  Tomorrow I will go to PT and I think I will go to one or no crutches.  It will be helpful because with 2 crutches, it is hard to carry anything.  Ill be more independent, although I hope my kids will still help out as much as they have up till now.  It's good for them and been a nice break for me from household chores. But, again, I do worry about putting weight on my knee!  I realize that if the doctor approves more weight bearing, then it's ok and I should not hesitate...

I have had some renewed pain the last couple days. Nothing terrible-and mainly when I do exercises.
 I think it is because I slept with my knee propped on a pillow. I hope that it is not an indication of any setbacks on the graft.  It is hard not being able to know for sure.  I may be overly anxious about the knee-more than others in my situation.  I do find myself worrying about the ultimate success of the surgery, especially when there is any new pain.  But it could very well be nothing and I know that too.  Perhaps the biggest challenge wih the ACI is psychological-because it is slow progress and one must wait some time before finding out if it will "work"! 
  I hadn't wanted to take pain pills because I had some stomach upset from the Percoset, but I finally did just now after 2 days.  I decided that I need to do the exercises well (especially when i go to the physical therapist to orrow) and also that if there is inflammation, that its best to decrease it.

A very positive note is that I have going to the gym and riding the bike and doing upper body weight machines.  I am approved by my doctor to swim, so I hope to try that soon.  I am nervous about the slippery pool area on crutches and getting in and out. The doctor had said its ok to kick (straight leg flutter kick), so I can see if that is comfortable. I also thought I might purchase something to float both legs and the. Just swim with my arms in crawl stroke.  I could do a combination. I am really looking forward to starting that!

*update on this post:  the pain in my knee was due to tightened tissue and adhesions around the patella. During PT visits, the therapist always "mobilizes" the patella back and forth and up and down.  That loosens the scar tissue and   I had missed a week of therapy because my therapist was booked up and I don't do the mobilization on my own.  After two or three visits to therapy, the knee felt good again.
(http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/arthrofibrosis-rehab-tutorials-dirk-kokmeyer-pt-scs-comt/patellar-mobilisation-part-2-set)

No comments:

Post a Comment